Skip to main content

Another cold one

 It was another bitter cold day. The temperature did not get above 19°. I did venture out today though, I needed to go to Sager Creek Quilt shop and drop off the 30s blocks.  I haven't been there in a while so I visited for a few and then came back home. Someone has to keep the fire going. 

 Wasn't able to get any sewing done but I did prep the next month 30's blocks to start on. I also last night traced what I needed to start my sisters quilt. There are 20  blocks that have appliquéd flowers on them. 



I won't be able to hand appliqué due to the carpal tunnel so I'll need to do them on the machine this time. 



 It will still look very nice when done. I will use 30s reproduction fabric for the flowers and the half square triangles. And the background will be done in Kona snow.

This morning when I went out to the henhouse to open up their small door so they can go outside and get water and stretch their legs, one of the old hens did not make it through the night. I had six old hens, ages approximately five years and then I have 14 new hens. I knew she wasn't doing well by the color of her comb but there really wasn't much I can do for old age. 
I do you want to pass on a few tips that I had read on My Pet Chicken blog.  I will give a link here so you can read her suggestions in detail but here is a list of her 8 suggestions or things you need to not do in cold weather for your chickens.  A lot of us think that we need to do these things and in reality it seems we don't need to. 

1. Don’t keep your chickens closed up in their coop when it’s cold.

2. Don’t tightly insulate your coop.

3. Don’t heat your coop.

4. Don’t forget to gather eggs more often than usual.

5. Don’t let your water freeze.

6. Don’t put off coop cleaning.

7. Don’t let your birds get too bored.

8. Don’t forget to protect their combs.




 For dinner tonight being Friday fish day we are having Fish Chowder also went ahead and made a loaf of homemade sourdough bread  

 Here is the recipe for fish chowder 
 1 tablespoon oil
 2 small carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into quarter inch thick
 2 potatoes scrubbed and chopped
 1/2 of a small yellow onion finely chopped
 1 slice thick cut bacon coarsely chopped
 1 bay leaf
 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
 1/2 a cup chicken stock
 1 cup whole milk
 1 pound cod fillets skinned and cut into strips

 In a large sauce pan, heat the oil over medium high heat until shimmering. Cook bacon some and add the carrots, potatoes, onion, bay leaf and thyme and cook, stirring, until the bacon is crispy and the potatoes have softened, 5 to 7 minutes 
 Sprinkle with the flour and continue to stir until the ingredients  are well coated. Add the stock and milk all at once and cook until the broth has thicken, 5 to 7 minutes. 
 Add the fish and continue to cook, stirring it into the fish is opaque  and starting to flake, about five minutes. Discard the bay leaf 

 This is a very good recipe. I know it said whole milk and I'm sensitive to dairy products and I could try with coconut milk but I didn't have any on hand so I went ahead and made the recipe as written and I'll do OK if I don't eat too much of it.



Comments

  1. The recipe looks delicious, I will certainly be giving it a go. Sorry to hear about the loss of your hen but like you say there is not a lot anyone can do for old age. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of applique to prep :)

    Cold weather here as well...the air hurts your face when it is like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and will take me a few. You're right about it hurts when its so cold.

      Delete
  3. Love the applique quilt. It's going to be gorgeous with the 1930 reproductions. It's sad when you think 35 is warm, but I was so thankful for that versus where we were on Friday. BRRRR!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t