Skip to main content

30's Club

Tonight is our monthly 30's Club at Sager Creek and we have a very good turn out. Must be because of the spring like weather we are having.  There was 16 of us.


So today I spent the day working on next months blocks. That leaves only one month left to do and boy will I be ready for this to be completed. 


Tonight I went home with all the completed blocks that I had made for the class. Even though I had made them, they stayed here at the shop. 

I have a setting I want to use that isn't the one that's in the book 


Like this one here's

Now I need to decide what I want to use for the color squares. I figure it will be another solid but needs to be 30's related colors.

My goal is to have this assembly by the April meeting. By then everyone have all the kits and maybe they'll  them done.  I'm hoping that this will give them ideas to consider.

Would like to show now the stuff others brought in for show and tell.







I have meant to give the link to Pam's YouTube videos that she film while demonstrating in class and here is the link.

We always have some sort of snack and most of the time I'll make something. This time I made a Hot Milk Cake. Someone suggested this cake and said that it would of been a cake that was around in the 30's. I did not have an old recipe to use so I looked it up online and found this one on the King Arthur Flour website.


Here is their recipe.

When we started this 7 years ago I had a bigger role in the class. Beside making the snack I would give some sort of talk relating to the depression.  Could of been fabric, patterns, designers, events, or maybe government related. We also covered foods, books, movies and other tips or household ideas.
The past 2 years it's been I only do the samples and I have to say it's been a nice change.

I wanted to do some more mowing today but it was so windy, nice and warm

I hope it's not windy tomorrow so I can get that part of the yard that is left to do. 
Someone had brought this in and not sure what it is.
She thinks it sewing related.
Does anyone have an idea what this is.




Also would like to say how sadden I feel to hear about the passing of Sue Garman.
I love her patterns and her creativity will be missed.
I do have only one of her patterns but there are so many more I would love to have.




Comments

  1. It looks like a vintage darning mushroom to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't tell what it is but love it! yes Sue's passing while expected because of the type of cancer came much too quickly. I made Sues Star Crazy pattern and loved it - very good directions. Many more I would like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun get together with lots of pretty show and tells. I have two little cookbooks with depression recipes and stories...so interesting...I think that tool is to darn socks. Doesn't look the same as one my grandma had, but similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a very talented group based on what was in the show and tell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome friends to share a thought, I enjoy reading them and will try my best to reply back by email most of the time. But if you do not hear back it's because you are a no-reply blogger.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Portable Design Wall

I had wanted to get a portable design wall to take to retreats but did not want to pay the price. Looked at various pins on pinterest and took ideas from more than one to come up with my verison. It worked out great and only cost a fraction of the price. The PVC pipes, joints and 2 yards of felt cost under $22.00 My design wall is 4' x 4' which stands approximately 5 1/5' tall. For this size need 2 - 10ft length of 3/4" PVC pipe for the frame and 4ft of 1" PVC pipe for the feet Cut the 3/4" PVC into 4 - 4' section                                                                                       2 - 1' section              Cut the 1"  PVC into 4 - 1' section          The joints you'll need will be 2 - 3/4" elbows 2 - 3/4" T's 2 - 3/4" to 1" T (this will be the base of the Feet) 4 - 1" elbow Also need pipe cutters (this cost me almost as much

Yarn Along 2/20/13 Spoon Pin Doily

It's snowing here and I know some of you are tired of snow but here we will take the moisture any way we can get it. Plus it just gives me a reason to stay in and work on some of my projects. In this picture I'm not sure if you can make it out but in the background there are some wild turkeys that hang around the house sometime, just  chilling This project I'm working on is Spool Pin Doilies.   I had never heard of them before until Bonnie Hunter had mentioned it on her blog . She a had a viewer send her one for her sewing machine along with a pattern. I did not like the pattern but loved the idea so I decided to make up my own version. I wanted a more simple, smaller and fuller doily. So I tried different thread sizes to get one that I like. (From left to right) I tried sock yarn, which I'll redo because I think I like that look. Heavy weight crochet thread, nope too big Bamboo yarn, I like it. Looks good on my Kenmore. Pearl cott

What's Up

Well that is a big question, what's up Seeing how I haven't posted since before the retreat I went to. So I will show what I did at the retreat and what I have been doing these past few days, which is this Log Cabin Christmas Tree  wall hanging I have the blocks completed and now it just a matter of getting them sewn together. I'll get to that tomorrow. While at the retreat I made this baby quilt top with the disappearing 4-patch block. I had a charm pack and used some "snow" fabric Kaufman snow is one of my favorite whites to use. It's white but not a stark, bright white, goes well with a majority of the fabric I've collected. I started late making my blocks for RCS14 First I wasn't sure what pattern I wanted to make and then with all that was going on the first part of the year, I didn't start until July. One quilt is using a quarter log cabin in solid colors. I made these at the retreat, have the other half t